Sunday, December 20, 2009

The first friendly

Well, the first real friendly.

As expected, I have been very busy in the transfer market, addressing several key issues. Just for the record, the first signing in my Philadelphia Union era was Cam Weaver, striker from the Houston Dynamo for allocation funds. He was a bargain purchase that should be able to score some goals.

I also signed a young striker from FC Dallas, Peri Marosevic. Peri is more
of a project and will not see as much action, barring injuries.

In the midfield I brought in 3 players. Justin Mapp from Chicago Fire will play mostly left midfield, although he is capable of slotting inside. Sebastian Nayar is a defensive midfielder from Argentina that I brought in on a free transfer. Nigerian Michael Adeyinka is an Attacking Midfielder I also brought in on a free. These two guys will be very important to our success, orchestrating things from the middle of the park.

On the back line
, we added two exciting players. Marvell Wynne comes in from Toronto FC to play right back. He has incredible speed, which is an attribute I favor in players. And Chad Marshall from Columbus Crew will really solidify the center of our defense.

I have pretty much filled out the first 11, unless my scouts come across a player I really like in the next 3 weeks. Any players I sign now will only be for depth purposes. I do still have 3 international slots to play with, and I fully intend on using them. If I can find an outstanding player, I will use my designated player slot as well.

So, on to the match. I had a run out against the Academy team and won 6-0, but this is the first real friendly, the Charleston Battery:












The game ended in a 1-1 draw. Didn't play especially well, but the preseason is all about building fitness. They scored right out of the half, and Alejandro Moreno came on as a sub to net the equalizer. I'm not too worried about the result because this squad has to do a lot of gelling. We've brought in 7 new players with more to come.

Next up is a trip north to F.C. New York. Should be a similar game.

No comments:

Post a Comment