Monday, December 21, 2009

A good start

Philadelphia Union won their first match in club history, a 2-0 victory at FC Dallas. It was a somewhat hollow victory since both goals came from penalties converted by Cam Weaver, but we'll gladly take all three points back to Philly with us.

I ended up reverting to my favorite formation, the 4-4-2 Box Midfield, also known as a 4-2-2-2. We played well for the most part but there are still some kinks to work out. My squad is now pretty flexible in that I have enough depth so that I can alter my lineup depending how I want to play. For example, if I'm wanting to attack I can play Marvell Wynne and Heath Pearce (who I just picked up off waivers) at the fullback positions. On other hand, if I've got a tough away game coming up and need to play a little more defensive I can put Jordan Harvey on the left and Shavar Thomas on the right for a more defensive look on the flanks.

With my switch to the 4-2-2-2, Shea Salinas was really left out in the cold as he doesn't fit my tactics. So I made a trade and sent him and Dave Myrie to the Houston Dynamo in exchange for Bobby Boswell. A Marshall-Boswell center back combination is a daunting one in MLS. Those two guys will make it very difficult for opposing attacks.

And in the final bit of transfer news, I was able to land a pretty big signing in Ciro, a Brazilian striker from Sport Recife. He has very good pace so I'm anxious to get him on the pitch and see what he can do. He's coming off an injury so he won't be fully fit for a couple of weeks. I'm tentatively scheduling his first match to be in 12 days at Toronto FC.

No comments:

Post a Comment