Sunday, December 20, 2009

Starting from scratch

Welcome to my little corner of the internet. Hopefully I don't bring the whole thing down.

I'm not one for big introductions, so I'm just going to dive right in. This blog will act as a journal for my career game in Football Manager 2010. I will occasionally post on other things, but it will focus on FM.

So let's begin with the game's setup. Using the great editor SI included with this year's version, I expanded the USA league structure all the way down through the United Soccer Leagues, the Premier Development League, the National Premier Soccer League, and a division for the MLS Academy teams that I created. I also included the top divisions from the following nations: Australia, Brazil, England, Germany, Holland, Italy, Mexico, New Zealand, South Africa, and Spain. I included at least one nation from each confederation because I like to keep an eye on all of the continental championships.

I also have a .ddt file that I created that automatically loads up players from several nations, including all CONCACAF nations. All in all, 16300 players were loaded from the database.

And since we are starting this blog from scratch, I figured what better team to start with than Philadelphia Union? They are a brand new club that have not even played their first match yet in reality. Unfortunately, limitations of the editor do not allow me to simply add the Zolos to MLS so I had to switch them out with another club. Although it does not makes sense for Philadelphia to play in the Western Conference, the choice was easy for me as to who to replace: Chivas USA. I hate Chivas USA, and I'm more than glad to drop them down to USL-1 with the riff raff.

I went ahead and added the 12 players that Union have signed in real life to the squad using the editor. They are as follows:
GK-Chris Seitz
GK-Brad Knighton
D RC-Shavar Thomas
D LC-Jordan Harvey
D C-Danny Califf
D/WB R - Dave Myrie
AM RL, ST - Sebastien Le Toux
D/WB L, DM, MC - Stefani Miglioranzi
DM, MC - Andrew Jacobson
AM R - Shea Salinas
AM RC - Nick Zimmerman
ST - Alejandro Moreno

Obviously, 12 players is not enough so I have to get out into the transfer market immediately. With the editor, I gave myself a transfer budget of $6 million. This seemed like a fair amount to me. Since I need 12 players, this will average out to an average of $500,000 spent per player.

I will also be in need of staff. I have an assistant manager, John Hackworth, and one coach, Joshua Gros. I have no physios, no scouts, nothing. And the way I play the game, I do not sign a player unless I have scouted him. So scouts and other staff are priority one.

2 comments:

  1. $6m? You're kidding right?

    The average expansion side has about $1m (at the most) of allocation money in which to sign the rest of their squad. How many players coming into MLS have EVER cost more than $500k? (about 3 as I recall and none since Donovan).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, that's a fair point. But in real life is not the same as FM as generally speaking you have to overpay for players in the game. If it makes you feel better, I still had about $3.5m in the transfer kitty after the season started. Of course, I spent most of that on Ciro, but he was a designated player purchase.

    ReplyDelete